Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy to be wed





Oh my, I can't believe it. My Clare Bear is married.What a beautiful day it was, and what an incredible honor to stand up with her during the ceremony as she and Ben repeated their vows. I remember so distinctly the minister saying, "They will now do everything together. It will be Clare and Ben or Ben and Clare, but no longer will they make decisions on their own." What a beautiful (and sometimes frustrating) part of marriage!
I remember facing towards her and the minister performing the ceremony. She had walked down the aisle, her parents had given her away. Tears were streaming down my face and I was silently praying prayers of Thanksgiving to our Lord who had brought the two of them together. It felt so painful to "give her away" and at the same time I felt immense joy for the love and relationship she was entering into with this man. I had never seen her so in love with a man.
I was struck several times throughout the day and the days after by how much harder it is to be in a wedding after you are married yourself. I used to spend time on my hair and make up while the bride spent time on hers....not so anymore. I remember that day, just a bit over 2 years ago, and how much help I needed for the day to go smoothly and how much I appreciated those dear friends of mine who help me calm my anxious and eager heart. I was motivated by how perfect I wanted the day to be for her...and it was, perfect for her.
The joy and love I knew she was experiencing that day, I understood greater as a result of my own wedding, my experiences in my own marriage led me to hope for this love to surround her in this marriage with this man.
Though I was sad not to have my husband with me on this trip, my desire for him may have just deepened my hope for Clare's relationship with Ben. I prayed prayers of thanksgiving that day for the God that brings us together with the men whom we were destined to spend our lives with, and I continue to pray this prayer now.

1 comment: