Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmastime

It's Christmas time and I am so thankful to have my husband home for Christmas.

Josh returned from 9 days in S. Carolina just a day ago. It was longer than we had ever been apart from each other in our 2.5 years of marriage. And we got through it. Talking most every night on the phone and knowing that he was having some fun out there with his co-workers got me through it :-) I tried to make the most of my independence while he was away. I was grateful to have the time to host a Christmas cookie exchange with some girlfriends one day, not cooking for 9 days (and subsisting on leftovers), and not having to clean either (just one person at home keeps our condo a bit cleaner).

But I did miss him a whole bunch, and could hardly sleep the night he was returning home, so eager to see him.

And so, we find ourselves almost upon Christmas. We are home for Christmas this year, home in our condo, Lynnwood, WA. We aren't going to make it to Iowa or Idaho as we have in the past and it is our first Christmas together in the Seattle area. This is the year to start new traditions.

We bought our first Christmas tree together several weeks ago and often I sit in our living room gazing upon these lights. My mom sent me Christmas stockings that my late paternal grandfather Alan made several years ago. We have received many presents and wrapped many presents, all placed under the tree and ready to be opened! Above our refrigerator and above our fireplace are just covered in Christmas cards which have been sent to us. We feel surrounded by love.

Tomorrow morning I am going to attempt making swedish meatballs on my own, a Swedish tradition which my parents always take part in on Christmas eve, and they are really good! I can't wait to taste one! Sunday will be full with a holiday breakfast (maybe Swedish pancakes?), presents, and a dinner complete with ham and all the fixings shared with friends in our home. I have no doubt that his Christmas will be full and rich.

We do wish our families lived closer so that we could share the holiday with these special loved ones, but we feel blessed to have the opportunity this year to start something new with one another, Josh and I.

1 comment: